Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ultimate Grammar Authority?



Who would have known getting a Christmas present could be so complicated? My friend, Mandy, had this great idea to order me a new sign for Christmas with what will be my name when I'm married. I happen to have some slightly OCD tendencies and it REALLY bothers me to think of a sign above my classroom door that is not grammatically incorrect. The problem is we don't know if this sign should say...Mrs. Watts' Class or Mrs. Watts's Class. I have consulted many in the know authorities and everyone seems to contradict what another says. I happen to run into one of my old English teachers from high school in Lubbock yesterday and she went against what I had finally decided was correct. However, she is going to consult with Mrs. Hannum, former English department AP head at HHS, and ask for her expert opinion. The question is how do you know what IS really correct when so many disagree? Who is the ultimate authority in grammar that makes these decisions?

5 comments:

  1. Great job on the blog!! You have done everything I could've shown you already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yours has helped me alot! I need to know how to get rid of the background template from blogspot. Essentially I have a background on top of a background right now (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who is an editor. Would you like me to ask her? I am fairly certain it should be Mrs. Watts's Class. Watts is the name, ending with "s". The apostrophe "s" indicates the singular possessive. I believe Watts' would be plural possessive... as in The Watts' new home.

    PS - Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's exactly what I had thought was correct, but then was told by several English teachers it isn't. So I don't know! BTW, who are ya!?!?

    ReplyDelete